Saturday, July 15, 2006

StopMakingSense

Woke up this morning knowing I had resisted crying in my sleep - not 'cause I was sad, but just 'cause sometimes I wake up crying for no apparent reason.

I was fighting back the tears. I think this was due to me being moved by what music can do - it's impact.

You see, I had read the day before about Thom Yorke's new solo album in my local paper. I think on a subconscious level I had been in awe of how much influence one human being can have over so many. And not in a tyrannical way, but an artistic one.

Now keep in mind I have never owned any Radiohead albums or music in any form whatsoever; I barely know their stuff.

But today, because of the dream, I decided to buy Yorke's solo thing. The jury is still out.

Oh, and I also related to how mournful his voice is, which is what has always struck me most whenever I've heard Radiohead in passing, or on friends' car stereos.

I went to see a band tonight. It was pretty good. On the way back, I ran into a friend with whom I am currently collaborating.

I told her I was a little disappointed to not end up at a party or something, though I had fully anticipated the probability of walking home after the show. I mean, I had my chance/s. I was invited to 2 parties tonight. But I didn't feel like going.

I mentioned to her how I had a fleeting thought about moving back to Houston...Scary, 'cause I know it wouldn't solve anything - just create different problems.

Cambridge is like ..5 on the Top 10 most expensive cities in the US, and Boston is like 8 or something - all this even ranking above NYC in cost.

Paying so much for rent is a crime. Just to hang my hat and store a little stuff?!

American nomad? Badawi? Bedouin?

Tonight, I did enjoy walking about in the summery weather. It reminded me of where I was this time last year - Prague. With the hedgehogs in the park and the weird sculptures. Nove Mesto, Stare Mesto. Prazsky Hrad. Meeting ex-pats. Internet cafes.

Ah, Europe.

Next summer I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home