Friday, August 18, 2006

Plunge Into Death

Christ.

Woke up this morning ears ringing heart racing. Couldn't breathe. Was dreaming I was hanging on a boat, looking at azure waters. There were other folks there. I dove into the water. Plunged down. I was going down feet first, though, and although I felt my body slow, I couldn't buoy back up fast enough. I started running out of air. But I was suspended in aqua. I did start going back up but I woke up before I reached the air.

I was so distraught upon waking I had to lie there for some time. Recovering.

Yeah I've been in a crappy mood the past 48 or so.

Spent some quality time with my computer, and then finally stepped out to get some breakfast.

Ended up at Brookline Lunch, where I saw a local rocker. We didn't acknowledge each other. No biggie.

Ate some eggs benedict & homefries, but the whole time I was fantasizing about Cafe Urth in Melrose in LA. So I read the Phoenix - an article about Spike Lee's new movie about Katrina.

When I was paying, the owner lady (also the server) came up and said "Did you used to come here a long time ago?" "You lost a lot of weight." I told her yes. I used to go there with John D. He would eat two meals at a time, and I would follow suit. Around that time, I was almost 200 pounds. I totally thought about how JD loved that place and I think I sat in a booth we used to sit in. Whatever.

Anyway, she asked how I lost all the weight (and kept it off for 5 years now). I told her the truth. Exercise and eating less.

So many people tell me how I look much better now, and men treat me so differently. I ain't complainin'. 's just how it goes. But scope sure is funny, huh? Some I know know still think I'm not thin enough. My mom says I shouldn't lose one more pound. And myspace.com and hotmail.com seem to think I should lose 15 pounds or something...

OK, so back to my cafe habit. So I left Brookline Lunch in search of the purrfect mocha and some kind of treat to soothe my aching heart over Cafe Urth. I head over to Mariposa Bakery on Mass Ave, and grab 2 tiny chocolate chocolate chip cookies. The guy behind the counter is very flirty and funny. Trying to get me to crack a smile. Aretha Franklin's "Natural Woman" song is playing in the background. He sings along, and when it gets to the part where she says "Nat-u-ral Wo-man" he goes "Nat-u-ral Mizz-an". This cracked me up, and I'm snorting out loud now as I type this 'cause it was so funny. Then he jokes around saying how I probably thought he was gonna say "Woman".

I pay and leave.

Next, I head over to Toscanini's. I'm now in a substantially better mood. I proceed to chat with the baristas. One is a punk-looking chick with a bad tattoo of a cat's face on her left bicep. Turns out her friend gave her the tat - it was his 4th tattoo ever, and the cat is her own, named Zip. She makes me a rockin' iced soy mocha that makes me remember why Tosci's is always so fuckin' awesome. They have a yummy-looking breakfast menu on weekends I'm now dying to try.

END CAFE CRAWL

Why oh why couldn't I have been in Manchester England in the early 90's? Come to think of it, had I, I might not be here now. I heart Primal Scream!!!!!!! You know that part in 24HourPartyPeople where Bez is dancing in the studio??? LOVE IT!!!

Primal Scream's Screamadelica is my Friday record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home