Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Painting the Red Door BLACK

Yeah, so Black Fortress did a warm up gig in Portsmouth, NH. Though, it was initially booked under my name.

Cute little place. Kind of a nice wine bar vibe. A little bigger than my local haunt of ZuZu. Lots of candles. The series is called Hush Hush Sweet Harlot, after the Bette David flick (according to my boyfriend's roommate). And there was indeed a hushed vibe during the perfs.

Tony, my guitar player and guiding light, could not get there before a certain time. There was a brief moment where the booker seemed annoyed because, although she had previously informed us we wouldn't be playing until 9:30/10, this night she wanted us to go on first at 8:30.

SO we went on last instead. The room was pretty empty by then. 2 friends, the booking agent, another of the performers, and finally some rakish lads looking for a nightcap.

That aside, the set went well. Felt fuckin' good to play some new stuff. I'd previously only performed ONE of the set's songs with any band. People seemed to like it. I could hear myself ok.

The mando gave me trrrouble, which Tony pointed out is unacceptable. I'm in the market for a newer, nicer one. One that doesn't go out of tune every two seconds and has a pickup and a volume knob.

On the way up to the gig, I was relegated to the backseat. I was cramped in amongst the gear like a stowaway. My booted legs in my lap. This was for over an hour. My legs felt kinda funny the rest of the night.

But never mind that. One must accept and be humble at times. Suck it up and use it somewhere else.

While waiting for our set time, I was enjoying my whiskey when some dude next me started trying to chat me up. Anyway, at some point after I thought he had left, he calls me out by name and motions me over. He half-introduced me to some chap who promotes bands or something. This chap was vague about who he was/what he did. I asked if he was gonna stay for the show, but he mentioned something about owing someone in the room quite a large sum of money, and so probably not.

Then he signed over a check to me. That check is my current bread and butter. Quite literally.

A stranger giving me money. A first.

Anway, Joe shot video of our set, so I'll post some of the BFof O page as soon as I get it and build it.

Setlist included:
Crack and Pool
Model Cafe
Ari
From a Woman to a Man
Dulcet TV (based on one of Warren's blogz)
Twelve Gross

We're gearing up now for our first BIG Boston show at the Lizard Lounge on 10/24.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home