Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Holding My Peace

I'm so behind in blogging. I meant to do an NYC 2 installment, but I got back to Boston, and I felt like it would be sending a postcard from my hometown because I lamely didn't make it to the foreign post office...

So, onto NYC II:
Tuesday night, last week I play Zebulon. It's a nice bar/restaurant in the wb - Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Zebulon. They had my name misspelled on the chalkboard outside when I arrived. I asked for the chalk, but they apologized profusely and changed it for me. They comped all my drinks and food - a help when traveling, not to mention respectful to the performer.

Martin Bisi (producer of Sonic Youth, Swans, Dresden Dolls, many more) came. Very nice and funny chap, he was. Bought me disc. Regaled me with stories of Jim Thirlwell and Diamanda Galas. He knew my friend Bliss, and I think they caught up a bit...

I wasn't planning to stay past Wednesday, really. However, things developed nicely and I started to fall more in love with the city, the longer I stayed. I sat in Tompkins Square Park, smoked a cigar, went record-shopping, walked around SoHo.

I saw Bliss play two shows - one solo and one with her band The Moonlighters. Both were awesome. Her presence onstage is fierce. She's subtle, and that's what's so powerful.

Subtlety and nuance.

So after her solo show we went to a little cafe in Park Slope called Cafe Steinhof. There were a lot of cowboy hats in the room, which is funny, as a Texan...to see in NYC, but whatever. There was a little group called The Useless Bastards playing countryish songs. Bliss and I split a German beer and observed and enjoyed. She sat in with them on a Johnny Cash song...

On Thursday, my last day, I ambled around NY a bit. One place I popped by was Kiki de Montparnasse ~ a beautiful sex shop. I read about it in Paper - that they had a signed Man Ray. And they do. La Priere.

When I got back to Brooklyn, I hung out with Bliss and her bro Steve, watching Democracy Now. It was interesting to see Amy Goodman's face, because I had previously only heard her on WZBC. Of course, with the 5-yr anniversary of 9/11 coming up, there was much talk of Ground Zero. There's something different about watching a program like that in NYC. I felt more protective. Of the city. Staying with Bliss and Steve really felt like family - the good kind. Such a warm vibe. We went out for Turkish food that night and came back and watched Shaun of the Dead over shots of whiskey:)

Bliss has a great politically-aware blog:
http://www.jacksonisfurtherawaythancrazy.blogspot.com/

Don't forget the Mass State Primary is coming up. Tuesday September 19th. Don't forget to revolt!!

I've got more shows coming up.

October 2nd
Red Door
107 State Street
Portsmouth, NH
8PM Doors, 21+
$5 suggested donation
performing with: Matt Keating
(Pleeze tell NH friends!!)

October 4th
Lily Pad
1353 Cambridge St
Inman Sq
8PM
opening for Monique Ortiz (Bourbon Princess) It's her solo CD-release!

October 24th
Lizard Lounge
1667 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA
$8
performing with: Dame Darcy's Death By Doll, Guillermo Sexo, Fluttr Effect
Note: This will be the first official show with my new band BLACK FORTRESS OF OPIUM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home