Thursday, October 18, 2007

Cinematic Soul

Current mood: moody
Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

So I've seen a lot of movies lately:

Lust, Caution
Inland Empire
Ballad of Sad Cafe
Moonstruck
Elvis '68 Comeback Special

I thought the sex scenes in Lust, Caution were too graphic. Not the nudity per se, no, that was tasteful enough...I just felt like it's unfortunate that actors have to get that intimate with each other...I mean that's not natural or healthy, to me. Oh, I understand it's purpose and all, but how can it not be psychologically damaging in their personal lives?

Case in point: Inland Empire
Layers upon levels about actors, Hollywood, cheating, death.
I enjoyed watching this so much. It had all the tone, mystery, and mood that is typical of David Lynch. I liked it much better than Mulholland Drive, though still not as much as Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet...

And the Eastern European element this time was nice, as I recently saw 'Eastern Promises' and have had all things Russian (Faberge eggs, etc.) on my mind since.

My favorite bit about Inland Empire:
When Laura Dern is recounting what's happened to her and she talks about how men gradually reveal themselves - who they really are. I could totally relate to that whole speech.

Ballad of Sad Cafe:
A strange movie about the West(?) starring Vanessa Redgrave - a master actress. There was a bit in this movie about LOVE...what makes a couple being the "lover" and the "be loved", and how the "lover" craves the love of the "be loved" and how hard it can be to be the "be loved". Made a whole lotta sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home