Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Stairway to Cambridge

Current mood: chipper
Category: Life

Birds are chirping, despite the grey outside. Maybe they're happy to get a little bath from the cloudspittle.

I was a birdie last night at the space. Ah learning to let go and touch in touch with my inner dervish and grab the ecstatic is a glorious thing. Little melodies that can't be tamed pouring out from my throat and soul. My mando is my greatest weapon!

Saw many films in the past 5 days. Werner Herzog's newest, 'Rescue Dawn'. Nothing like Stroszek which is good. A completely different tone.

Then I went to see 'Lights, Action, Camera' - a presentation of local/New Englande filmmakers/animators works. Some friends had a music video in there. It definitely stood out amongst the numerous student pieces/bad goth/experimental films which went on and on...It's like, jeez, look at the plug ins the kids can use now. So much sameyness. Some of the animations were funny - like the one about a married man whose wife conivnces him to start using a daily planner. He becomes so organized he starts multi-tasking and gets too busy, starts using coke, goes crazy, and gets fired. Very funny, and tres modern.

Tony and I watched 'If You Only Knew'. It's a documentary on jazz singer Jimmy Scott. Tony's getting into him now, and we might end up covering 'Sycamore Trees', one of my fave cover songs in my repretoire. We'd wait until the autumn, naturally.

Some of y'all might remember when I read the book on Jimmy - 'Faith in Time', by David Ritz. I blogged about it surely...

This man has definitely influenced me. Did you know he worked with Lou Reed? Yeah, and Ray Charles.

Weirdness:
So the night before last, I was on the phone to my LA homeboy JJ. We were talkin' music biz an' all dat, when we started brainstorming about rent-a-pet centers and coffee shops. He told me about a new one out there {called Choke} which is like also a scooter-repair shop. Anyway, we came up with the name Church b/c people are so religious about coffee. I could even imagine the neon golden sign. Cursive, italics, not sure which font.

The next morning Tony emails me about a new club in town opening under the name - CHURCH. I kid thee not.

Crazy coincidence!! Or maybe just collective unconscious?

Started watching a doc on some guys trapped on their ship in solid ice for 635 days back in the early 20th century, but didn't finish it yet.

Speaking of ice, my dad is leaving for Alaska today. He hasn't been there in probably 40 years. I asked him to bring me some scrimshaw. Hee hee. Or a totem pole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home