Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Leaving Soon

Current mood: hungry for a cookie
Category: hungry for a cookie Life

Allahim.

I'm leaving in less than 3 days. Some friends called to say they were worried 'cause there was a bombing in Ankara - one of the cities I'm heading to, most likely.

Anyway, I'm freaking out over here, but I am also trying to methodically get everything organized, gathered, paid, and laundered. My laundry I mean.

Amidst the mania of the documents and travel info, I am actually getting a bit thrilled to go. Somehow knowing I have people in my life who really love me strengthens me so much. I feel a spine to lean against.

I read today about orchid ice cream I can get in Istanbul. Very interesting. It's so thick you have to use a fork and knife to eat it! It's called salepi dondurma, but salep comes from Arabic sahlab, which means "fox testicles".

It has something to do with the shape of the dried tubers from which the flour/paste is derived.

Anyway, edible flowers are where it's at. Are you sensing a theme yet? {Afyonkarahisar}

Also in food news, I attended a cheese tasting last night at Whole Foods near Charles St. VERY NICE!!! We sampled 12 cheeses, all from New England. Sssssooooooo good. Especially the goat cheeses. The cheesemaster giving the class was English, and works at the Alewife store. He was born outside of London...he thought Frank, the Californian member of the supper club who went with me, was English before Frank even uttered anything. Funny.

Our palate cleanser was POM peach white iced tea. We had crostini and crackers, and even little Spanish tortes with anise with the cheeses. Also orangle blossom honey.

Afterwards, Frank and I wandered through Beacon Hill to No.9 Park for a cocktail, but they were closed for a private dinner. So we walked on to The Last Hurrah at the Omni Parker House. Along the way, we passed a cute little al fresco sushi joint called Zen that looks fun. Felt like I was in a different city, and I live for that sensation. Mysterious wonderousness reminding me of new things!

At The Last Hurrah we sat down for our drink and discussed many things. I told Frank about what I'd been up to the past several days. Show Thursday. Described it and the drama surrounding it. Groupies! Cowgirl hats! Video-cameras! Ok, well I forgot to tell him about the last 2 but anyway...Friday show with Garvy J and the long-winded Cirkus Jirkus or whateverthefuck they're called in Worcester/burger. Saturday dinner with some of Tony's family. More red meat:) Sunday early rise and off to NYC for 2 straight days of sessions. The record's mostly done being recorded!

**I blogged somewhat more poetically about the recording on the Black Fortress of Opium myspace blog page, so feel free to cross-reference there. **

Anyway, while the server shook and blended our individual little drink shakers, which created a very soothing sound, and we noshed on freshly warmed mixed nuts, Frank gave me some gr8 news.

It turns out, my bet for the Kentucky Derby won after all. Well, it came in 2nd. I won like $14! You may remember me saying this was a horse named Hard Spun whose mother was called Turkish Tryst, grandfather called Turkoman, and father namer Danzig. How cool is that?

When I first googled Turkish Queen years ago, a racehorse going by that name came up. I couldn't find a pic of it though. I like the racehorse metaphor. It's a hardworking machine, but alive, with the softness and vulnerability of warm flesh.

Some events I'll miss while I'm gone to Turkey:
2 parties this weekend
Psychic TV, who I've never seen live

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home