Tuesday, March 27, 2007

NYC in Spring

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Current mood: tired
Category: Travel and Places

In NYC, staying on the Lower East Side.

Listening to my new Primal Scream Dirty Hits discs...freshly purchased from Other Music.

Later now:

Just returned from walking around the city all day. Tired.

Hung out with Cynthia tonight. Saw the space and the Warhol show. With art by real genuine stars of the factory. Damian met up with us too for a drink, and told us about the Orange Revolution in Ukraine, about which he made a film.

We walked all over this town back and forth and back again...

SoHo, NoHo, Little Italy (where I had the *most* amazing croissant I have ever had in my life, and a lovely iced hazelnut capuccino, which Tony Claims is very un-Italian, but I loved nonetheless). Greenwich Village, Lower East side (where we're staying)...

At lunch, I went in to use the restroom, at the restaurant, and someone had dropped some cocaine by the sink...

Earlier, we were looking a little street market by Other Music, and there was a little shop/stall where a very friendly Peruvian dude asked me if I was "Gothic", or rather, "Got-ik". That was the funniest thing, and it made me smile all day. Tony bought me some cool religious bracelets there, with saints and Virgins etc.

Checked out the Taschen store in SoHo. Love them!

The weather could not have been more perfect. We sat in Washington Square Park for a while enjoying it.

The 2 days of tracking vocals for the album went well. Now that we're in vocals phase Martin is producing much more - making great suggestions.

Last night, we went to see a friend of Tony's play jazz in Greenwich Village. The ensemble was called Sveti. His friend Marko is an awesome drummer. The kind of musician who melds with the instrument to where it becomes part of their body. Anyway, beforehand we met up with Bliss at a Turkish restaurant in Park Slope - same one we had visited back in September with her brother. It's called Zilli, and they used zaatar, which I didn't previously think was used in Turkish food, but...

On the way to the gig, we were just walking down the street and who do I see walking towards us, but Nick Cooper. Hadn't seen him in like 9 years or so. Anyway, he was a sport and came along with us to the Village Ma to see Marko. Nick told me he had just made a film about Anarchist Group Therapy in Sao Paolo, and lo'and behold, he's showing it in Boston on Monday at Harvard. Nick does art too, and he gave all of us photocopies of his paintings. The one I chose has a man with a whip and a very sad looking elephant with big eyes.

There are lots of nice people everywhere - even the sushi chef at dinner smiled and bowed very politely...he looked like Musashi...

Capuccino crunch gelato for dessert at a little cafe called Sugar. Very Ajda. MMmm. Slave to sugar.

My birthday is coming and all I want is fancy cakes with my name on them!!! I will resurrect the myspace pic with last year's cake very soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home