Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Twilight Singers

Current mood: working

Last night, I went to see the Twilight Singers. Mark Lanegan was there too.

It was a pretty fun show. I rarely go out to shows these days, but I had been looking forward to this one for a little while, especially 'cause I missed 'em last time.

The band was so funny about smoking onstage. They all smoked very proudly throughout the entire show. Puffing away like it was their last day of smoking or something...Greg Dulli had a handy little attachment to his mic stand that held his drink and an ashtray.

He had a pretty guitar - black, a Gibson Les Paul, I think. Sounded real nice.

Mark Lanegan came up onstage only a few times, and I didn't recognize any of those songs...I only have one of the band's albums. There was totally annoying feedback during a few of his numbers, and during the first song, it seemed like they didn't turn the mic on the poor chap until a minute or two had gone by.

I'm not so interested in "ROCK" these days, but the Twilight Singers do it right. Piano, guitars, percussion. Big sound. Energetic, passionate, desperate, genuine.

I didn't catch Greg Dulli snorting any lines of his amp this time...maybe those days are in the past?

I left after the first song or two of the encore. I wanted to hear Strange Fruit, or some other songs from the album I had, but I was tired and had to work the next day, so I split. Plus, that day I suffered a small puncture wound to my right thumb while changing strings on my new mando.

RE::NYC
My trip was fruitful. I did some business down there that could lead to recording in January, and on 2" tape, which rocks my world!!

Hung out with my Bliss. She's got so much great advice on showbiz, and matters of the heart.

We went to see "The Prestige", with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. Bale's character was not so appealing to me. I guess it may not make sense, but I thought he was WAY hotter in American Psycho. Whew! The movie was good, though - lots of double-crossing, etc.

Funny, last time I was in New York, I was hanging out in a park and the friend I was with thought he saw Christian Bale walk by...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home