Saturday, May 06, 2006

Abandoneon Hope

The title is not reflective of my mood; it's simply a play on words.

I'm fixin' ta listen to Dietrich Pessin give her astrology report on WZBC. Every Saturday at about 9:45AM, followed by Expanding Awareness, hosted by Victor Venckus...aspects of the paranormal, etc. He often plays trippy, hypnotic music, like Native American stuff, Indian stuff, ambient stuff...

You can stream it at http://www.wzbc.org ~

Woke up this morning and the ceiling was covered in weird light and shapes and lines - like a million prisms. I love this effect and notice it a lot. It even inspired one of my songs (the "bookmark to my heart part" in 'Soggy Heart Sea').

Bought my mom some flowers yesterday for Mother's Day next week, and got a little bouquet for myself while at it. It's nice having something alive in the room - that smells fragrant. A late night commercial for the "I Remember Mama" brunch someone is sponsoring made me want to show my own mama I remember and love her. She's been a little ill...seems like she's got what I had a month and a half ago:(

Ohmigosh the moon has looked so cool the past few nights. Positively electric!! I wanna use that as a title for something - Electric Moon.

Feeling pretty positive lately...I suppose it has much to do with focusing on work. Work is a haven to which I can retreat. It is always there - rock solid and steady.

Speaking of which, I'm going into the studio on Tuesday to lay down traxx for Chestbox. It is going to be so beautiful it will knock off your socks. Real strings - sul ponticello, con legno, etc. Listening to it and practicing with the strings makes me want to whip out my conducting baton from college, which I lovingly kept.

If you like German culture, and live in Boston, you may want to check out the Busch-Reisinger Museum, which is part of the Fogg Art Museum. There is a cool exhibit over there now of photomontages by Marianne Brandt. Almost all of them involve women (often scantily clad & curvy and flapper-ish), exotic animals, and portly men (symbolizing the male gaze).

Apparently she and her husband, a painter, had a tempestuous relationship. Sometimes she portrays him with her sister or other females surrounding him. Seems like that was on her mind a lot - that he may be with other wives, ladies, girlfriends, etc. I don't know if he was, though. Maybe she was just paranoid. At least she made work out of it!

The Busch-Reisinger also has a cool permanent collection, with memento mori, old coins, Mondrians, Nagys, and another current exhibit which features German art from the 1980s and includes cool wooden head painted all crazy. Oh AND a painting that makes a shape of the collectors face out of REAL CAVIAR, many of which are numbered right on the canvas.

Yeah, so the Museum Club, of which I'm a charter member (hee hee, there are only 2 of us) had a Cinco de Mayo outing - the priorities and purpose of which: art, food, drink. Our mission was completed.

I've been offered to play on the radio in Providence in June. I'm getting to the point where I need some help/support with this solo thing. I need an assistant or something. At least someone to accompany me on such trips...and maybe help sell stuff while I put gear away. BTW, next Saturday - I'm playing a free show at the Abbey Lounge pubstage. 8PM real time. Be there or I'll hate you:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home