Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I Sing Thee Body and Mind

So I'm still working through PK Dick's A Scanner Darkly. I went to see the Body Worlds 3 (http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp) exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science yesterday. There were brain slices and muscles flayed and displayed. Smoker's lungs and cirrhosian livers. YUCK. Ulcers and tumors, too.

This all ties into the book nicely because I got to see the corpus collosum up close, and examine the hemispheres.

But about this time in the book, I find myself getting a little bored. And I can't read the German parts.

I decided to (most likely) take German this summer.

I found Body Worlds 3 dispappointing, despite its obvious efforts to be artistic and diginified. Perhaps I've seen more whacked out art than the average science museum-attendee...Guess I'm hard to impress or something. I mean, you'd think cross-sections of bodies/parts would be fascinating. I wasn't disgusted at all. Just indifferent.

Anyone interested in the body should read Janaka Stucky's books published by Black Ocean. He is a talented young undertaking author. Local, too. In fact you can see him here as one of my myspace buds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trying to get into a dark frame of mind to make a video for Lord Hampton. A murder ballad by Abunai!

Watching Capote last night helped. I just read & saw "In Cold Blood" last year, on recommendation from Ad Frank. Dark.

Warren's always talking about shapes. Texas is a shape looming large while you're there, lemme tell ya.

Everything's "Texas-" and/or has longhorns attached to it. Hee hee. Kitsch.

I'm from Sugarland, where Tom Delay was a former rep. Apparently there was some recent gathering at a hotel with supports and objectors virtually fistfighting over the man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need to make a nice poster for the TQ/His Name is Alive bill, if 4AD or whatever label they're on now hasn't beat me to the punch.
Where's Vaughan Oliver when I need him?

I expected lots of pressure last night. Double rehearsal for the big Terrastock show Thursday in Providence. Twasn't a problem. The remnants of my birthday cake and some champagne helped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Donnie Darko and the soundtrack are still so much in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home