Friday, April 21, 2006

Beautiful World

I started out the evening with the word Koyaanisqatsi, and feeling that way too. I struggled for a few hours.

Sometimes life moves too slowly for me and I feel like everything is still - like under a bell jar. Suffocatingly still.

My job last night was to play on 2 sets in Providence as part of the Terrastock Music Festival Meet'n'Greet night. One with Joe Turner, whose video Warren and I just finished, and the other with Abunai!

On the way down to the gig, I tuned back into a lingering dark feeling that began Tuesday, probably from exhaustion and jet lag, as a friend pointed out. Negative feelings I won't get into.

Anyway, I was having dinner with my friend Jay (of the band Bright, who was also playing last night) at the Cuban Revolution Cafe in Providence when my cell phone rang. Whoops, it was Joel, saying we're onstage doing our set and why don't you come on over now...So before I could have two bites or sip my sangria properly I rushed off. I downed the sangria.

Luckily the club was 2 seconds away. They were on the first song when I stepped in. I waited 'til it finished, and then hopped onstage for the rest of the set.

I really got into it. I was very there. Part of thinking so much about the point of life is that it can get you into the "be here now" frame of mind.

From then on I felt better. The whole set rocked and it felt fucking great and huge to be onstage in front of so many listeners. The lights were off and we had swirly projections going behind us. It reminded me of Terrastock I, in 1997. The OG Terrastock, which I attended and enjoyed immensely.

Scott called and we had a chat about his situation. About the state of Turkish Queen. The phase that the band is in right now. It felt so good to talk to him. Despite instability in his life, the musical connection we have and his encouragement are a stable pillar for me. Even when things get so choppy and rough. We cried, we laughed. And all. We're psyched for the show we have coming up. May 15th TT's with His Name is Alive.

Our chat led me to catharsis.

So then, with my teary bleary look I went inside to chill briefly before I went back onstage with Abunai! I had a vodka tonic. Then I adapted my outfit to be more of the Turkish Queen since I was a guest artist with this band. I warmed up in the ramshackle, under-construction basement of the club, amidst the chaos of noise coming from upstairs.

I played my flute and wailed a bit on Lord Hampton, a murder ballad. I rocked the line from 'Caravan'. Joel was on sound, so I could hear the flute and it sounded awesome. Then they played a few other numbers. It was fun to see these guys, now my friends, play and do their thing. Then it was finally time for Two Brothers, which I was so anticipating!! It was HUGE. There were 6 of us onstage. 2-4 of us singing at any given time. It was like some big arena rock show from the 70s that just blows your mind. It felt so good to sing those lyrics and play those lines. It all dovetailed beautifully. Brendan's and my voice blended so nicely. It's a damn good song, but I felt like we took it to another level entirely.

That feeling is what doing music, or art, is all about.

Shortly after all that was done, as I was chilling out and collecting myself, post-performance, Warren called - a most pleasant surprise. We chatted and it was very nice. I got to recap my T6 experience for him. And I'm sure he could tell what a good mood I was in by that point.

My friends and favorite people made me feel very loved, and that feeling it still with me.

I also met some fun folks and traded CDs at the fest. Except it didn't just feel like "networking". It was fun 'cause they were nice and friendly and somewhat interesting. Although, at the end of the night, I noticed one of them (who had been perfectly fine eariler in the evening) was yelling and tossing Narragansett beer cans around, making everyone a little uncomfortable...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home