Monday, May 22, 2006

What a sunny night

Just got in the door from another solo show.

Tonight was at the Abbey Pubstage.

Tough. Tough gig.

But playing with friends made a huge difference. And a new fan who comes to all shows.

Made some new fans, even though the people at the bar were so loud. I forgive their drunken insensitivity.

I debuted some covers. Strange Fruit. The Last Song. There were some clams, but I made it out alive and more than made up for them. I pushed myself to do all the piano songs up front. I was so nervous at first - the LOUD voices throwing me off. Trying to concentrate, feel, and express in a hostile environment. Such things are NOT easy.

But I ascend. I ascend.

And I'm even home before midnite!

One fan said I seem fearless. Well, I think I've come to feel music is my biggest skill in this world. So I'm embracing and coming to terms with it and learning what I can and want to do.

I don't think I ever had a goal of being a performer, per se, in the past that is. Only in the past year, doing more solo stuff, have I come to feel like one. Turkish Queen sometimes lent to that. I mean, it's certainly louder and fuller, and multi-dimensional. But I like to think I can hold my own in a different way.

Funny, on a slow night - a godforsaken Monday - I had a good gig. Friends, fun, song, and Indian food leftovers for lunch tomorree. It is the mystery of life I am uncovering.

I toil and toil, and if even only one or two people grok it, on a night like this, then it's worth something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home