Saturday, November 08, 2008

New experiences

Current mood: tired
Category: Life

Well, last night I debuted as a harpsichordist. It was not easy or comfortable. It was downright challenging!! But I got through it, and the earth is still spinning.

Some guests showed up to support. I even got flowers for the first time!! Two sets! I am so thankful to have people in my life who support me. It helps since my dad lives so far away and never gets to see me perform, and my mom only watches from Heaven. But hey, that's the best seat in the House.

I was very nervous, and hopefully will be less so when I do it all over again today. Boy, people should really have more respect for musicians 'cause lemme tell ya it is hard. I had to perform in a strange place, with people I had never met, on an instrument I had never seen. And playing music is such a physical thing - knowing the touch of your instrument is crucial.

Anyway, I continue to challenge myself for some unknown reason.

Scott's mom was there, with her husband. They showered me with gifts. One is a beautiful metal bird that I intend to put on a Christmas tree.

But more importantly, they brought Scott's purple Ibanez bass and gave it to me. This is the bass we recorded on. It's strange having a dead man's bass in my room. It is happy though, because he loved making music. Cherished it.

But you see, this is how many instruments come into my life - from random places, as gifts. It's been awhile since that happened, actually. Nice to know such things are still possible.

It was funny seeing how it is to play with classical types, 'cause it's been a long time since I did that.

It is different and the same. A church instead of a stinky trashed rock club. Still the crosses, though. Still the nervous backstage anticipation.

I feel like all of this will make me a better performer. More seasoned. Tasty!

I am so fortunate to have so many opportunities to perform lately across a wide spectrum of genres and instrumentation. The past month has seen me perf with:
Black Fortress on vox, mando, gtr, melodica
Bill T.Miller's Orgy of Noise on improv vox, skull shaker
Martin Bisi on diva/siren vox
Ensemble 44 on harpsichord

I feel like I'm racking up some things for a portfolio. I am an excellent record-keeper, and therefore I have every set list, program, and press clipping for anything I've done in the past 5 years.

It is my life's work, and humble, but satisfactory for this little mouse.

So yeah, last night was loaded with people and events. After the concert, Tony and I drove back to Boston and met up with my friend Leah, who was in from LA. We went to The Marliave (gracias to Frank for the rec!) which is the coolest most old-school bar you'll find around here. I wouldn't mind checking out the food sometimes, there. It was spare, and very empty. Perfect for catching up with old friends.

And then yesterday morning I fortuitously bumped into Mehran. He was also heading over to my neck of the woods, so we had breakfast together. It was such a nice spontaneous thing. Pretty tasty too, though I think I'll stick with my dear old 1369 for my espresso needs. We spoke of our lives and the Middle East, and leather ventures!

Currently listening :
Smash the System: Singles and More
By Saint Etienne
Release date: 2001-09-24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home