Sunday, February 05, 2006

What's the difference?

So I know many artists in Boston working in different media, primarily music and film.

Many of them have a very jaded attitude. Either they've had a taste of success and it dissolved for one reason or another or they feel they've been passed over.

These folks have a very anti-LA attitude, partially based on firsthand experience. Or, more often, based on complete ignorance.

I hear the same thing over and over...LA is full of fake horrible people.

Well what about people here who are nothing but cranky and jaded?

The cold weather alone is starting to get to me. I've been living here 9.5 years now and I think I've become more crabby 'cause of the damn cold.

It makes yr joints hurt and everything stiff and things feel twice as hard. And this winter is MILD!

But I think it's wearing on me.

And I've been to LA. I like it out there and I'm not afraid to say it out loud. I don't know if I wanna live there yet, or ever, but I don't wanna become jaded like so many people here who haven't made it as far as they hope/d.

It's important for me to be around people who are positive. I already tend toward the dour, serious, grave, and internally dark.

I feel good about what I'm trying to do musically, but it gets hard to find people to commiserate with who haven't been burned so badly they just seem hopeless.

I've heard a lot of talk from close friends in the past week who've been hurt by artistic disappointment.

My point is that what's worse: LA where folks are outwardly friendly but flaky or Boston, where people are cranky and jaded and spinning in wintry circles?

Damn. LA's sounding better and better, even though now more than ever I have things so properly aligned for maximal artistic growth. Piano space and rock space. Nice home. I'm comfy here. Please let spring break soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home